2008年10月19日 星期日

Your blog may cover either one of the following (no less than 600 words):1. Your learning experience and aspiration of Linux.2. Your understanding of System Thinking. Give examples of how engineering learning can enhance your system intelligence. For example, what can you learn from your programming assignment?


Linux is a very important operating system these days. An operating system is the system for me to start a computer system, and provides a collection of utilities for supporting the applications. For example, Microsoft Windows has a file explorer, that every application can make use of it to access the files stored in the system.

And for me, this operating system, Linux, is heard before I enter this course. As I had studied Compute, information and technology in HKCEE, I remember that my teacher had mention little about the Linux. As far as I know, Linux is an operating system. We usually use it in the internet and web service. Meanwhile, what is the different between the Microsoft Windows and the Linux? For these two operating systems, one is open-sourced, where its source is opened, while the other one is not. Also Linux is free to download. However we have to spend a deluge of money to buy the windows system. Does windows valued at such a high price? I think it is better to say Microsoft Company is monopoly. It seems that Linux has far more advantages than Microsoft.

When I first really learn Linux system, it is during my tutor lesson in this course. What I told to do is to follow the steps of a video. For this operating system, is just like the DOS in windows. No graphic pictures can I find in it. All we can do is to type command in the command lines. Actually, those commands are new for me and I cannot no fully understand what they are meaning. Also, sometimes I find it is quite confusing because it does not show what position and what status are you in, you have to type some command to get those information. Unlike Windows, it shows many information all the time around the windows, which is far more user-friendly. We use the whole lesson to follow the video, and finally what we have done is only create a simple website and send an e-mail. Frankly speaking, it is quite clumsy and I believe I can do this job within ten minutes by using Windows.

Therefore, at this moment, considering that experience, I am not interested in Linux system. But I do hope that Linux works better than Windows since Windows is comparably expensive, slow and stupid. Of course, I do not have a deep-study about Linux, so I have the aspiration for its other functions.

When we think of a problem, we usually just give a particular solution for that particular problem. However, problem usually involves problems, we cannot just give a single solution while ignore its side effects to the other problems. We have to consider the cause-effect relations between every single problem. So, this kind of thinking is called system thinking which involves interactions and the whole figure. There are four disciplines for learning organizations, namely, personal mastery, mental models, building shared vision and team learning. Systems thinking is the integration of this four disciplines.

When I write the programs, I can see that variables and relationships is critically important for a success program. Since every part of the components in the program is closely related. For example if when we write a statement but we don’t know that is under a condition function, the output may be unable to run the statement when the condition is unmatched.

For this system thinking, not only should we use this thinking method in writing program, but only for other problem that we have to face in the reality. This thinking method can help us to think more about a problem and complete the tasks more successfully.

沒有留言: